Thursday, July 16, 2009

Arooooogula

I've been doing a bit of research on arugula. The first thing you should know about this leafy green is that it's considered an aphrodisiac. Who knew, right?
Plant seeds 1 inch apart, ¼ inch deep in rows, or broadcast alone or mixed with other greens. Gradually thin to 6-inch spacings using thinnings for salads.
Prefers rich humusy soil with pH of 6 to 6.8, but will tolerate wide variety of conditions. Evenly moist soil will help slow bolting. Growth is low and compact until heat causes plant to bolt.
Forms a rosette of deeply lobed leaves. Plants become erect when heat induces bolting.
The white flowers that grow when it's mature are indeed edible, and have a creamy taste.
Arugula reseeds often itself - but it's self sterile and needs insects to help it procreate. It can be harvested multiple times throughout the season. (I reseeded arugula myself last summer after harvesting it for the first time in early July.)
You're supposed to avoid planting arugula after other cabbage family crops. (I'm not sure what "after" constitutes here, I'm guessing "in soil previously used for cabbage family crops" ...but if someone's got a better idea, please feel free to share it.)

I got a lot of this info here.

Ok, here is a recipe that I tried last year (with parsley and arugula from my garden) and lost my mind because it was so good.

Arugula-Parsley Pesto

1 cup arugula
1 cup parsley
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup toasted nuts (I used walnuts, but I bet pine nuts would be even better; the original recipe calls for almonds)
2 squirts of lemon juice
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional, definitely not necessary)

Blend the arugula and parsley (probably best in batches) with the olive oil and lemon juice, adding the garlic and then the nuts in small batches until a paste is formed.

Use the pesto in pasta, on pizza, as a body rub, etc...

Enjoy!

Robyn

1 comment:

Green Tom Thumb said...

Hey Robyn, thanks for the research.....and the Jim Carey reference.

Thomas